Tuesday, August 23, 2022

сувениры из россии - Souvenirs from Russia

Over the years I have had many wonderful experiences and encounters with Russian people.  I plan to share these stories on this blog and on YouTube.  I have collected some souvenirs and memorabilia.  Looking at them brings back fond memories of my many Russian friends.

This is a Soviet hat pin I acquired at Checkpoint Alpha in East Germany.  I recall that the hat pins were sold for 10 West Marks which at that time was about $3.50.  You could also purchase belt buckles, belts and even the occasional uniform.  The hat pins were the most common.  

I always wanted to purchase an authentic "ушанка" (ushanka) which is a Russian fur hat.  Sadly these were seldom available and not in my size 😢


A dear friend gave me this "гвардия" medal as a keepsake many years ago.  This is a WWII Soviet Combat Guard medal and is attached through the lapel of the jacket.  .  

"Guards" designations were awarded to units and formations that distinguished themselves during the Second World War by the order of People's Commissar for Defense of USSR No.303 on the 18 September 1941, and were considered to have elite status. However, the Guards badge was not introduced until 21 May 1943.


Not sure where I got this one, but it is a Soviet "Cruiser" (крейсерская) submarine medal from WWII.  No doubt given to me by one of my Russian friends years ago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bald and Bankrupt Arrested And Banned From Russia

Benjamin Rich, better known to millions of YouTube followers as "Bald and bankrupt", announced in a video today that he was arrest...