CA PCIP Reverting to Federal PCIP on July 1

Beginning July 1, 2013, California will no longer operate the state's PCIP. 

All current CA PCIP subscribers will be required to transition to the federal PCIP in order to maintain some kind of PCIP coverage through 12/31.  Premium rates and provider network for CA PCIP will no longer be applicable.

The CA PCIP will send out a notification letter in May to provide subscribers with instructions. In June, the National Finance Center, the enrollment administrator for the federally-run PCIP, will send out an Enrollment Letter that includes information about the federally-run PCIP plan, how much it costs, and how to activate coverage. Subscribers will not need to complete a new application to qualify for the federally-run PCIP.  To activate their new coverage on July 1, and receive their PCIP ID cards by that date, subscribers must pay their first month’s premium by the deadline stated in that letter.  

If a subscriber is in the course of treatment or has received prior-authorization for services, he or she will be mailed guidance about transition of care. It is critical that he or she follow required pre-authorization of benefits procedures for hospitalization, durable medical equipment or supplies, transplants, skilled nursing, long-term acute care or rehabilitation facility admission, spinal fusion surgery or cancer treatment plans anticipated to occur on or after July 1.  This is necessary even if the subscriber was already authorized with the California PCIP. 

PCIP remains closed for all new enrollments and this transition only applies to those California residents who are currently enrolled in the CA PCIP.

Dave
www.davefluker.com


Comments

  1. I have already met my deductible, do I have to meet a new one under the federal plan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One would hope that federal PCIP would carry over your deductible credit however until the migration is complete and you have confirmation of that either way, nobody knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know how this will affect the rates? I know when I looked into the federal program (before I learned of the CA program), the rates were about triple what the state rates were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. according to federal customer service line, all deductibles and out of pocket limits are being reset. unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That has happened to me. I am now thousands in debt. If this is what we are to expect with health care reform. we are in deep trouble. I will be spending 13,000 out of my 19,000 income. Obviously, I am deep into my savings.

      Delete
    2. This is what is happening to me. I also expect to get my surgery denied..I have contacted my congressperson and she was "disgusted". She is trying to help, but I am realistic.
      I hope your doctor can do something to get the surgery you need.
      And - I too noticed that the re-setting of the deductible was not mentioned ANYWHERE.
      We need a good lawyer for a class action suit.

      Delete
  5. Ouch! That's going to hurt a lot of CA PCIP members. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has anyone gotten their transition/enrollment letter yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten the first letter stating that I will be transitioned but I have not yet received the enrollment packet.

      Delete
    2. I also received the first letter stating that I will be transitioned but no enrollment packet yet. I called the federal customer service line about a week ago asking if I will be able to keep my same providers and they told me that they were still working on that issue and they didn't have a list of CA providers at that time.

      Delete
    3. I received my transition packet from federal yesterday the 13th of June. Got to get your premium in right away.

      Delete
    4. I'm the anon from 6/5 - I got the letter today; thanks for responding.

      Delete
  7. I'm confused. I've been reading that the new rates of payment to medical services go into effect June 15th...what is called the interim period....what is this about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ALL DEDUCTIBLES RESET TO ZERO!!!!......How do we go about filing a class action law suit. when i spoke with them this morning, i was told that the 17 state run pcip plans all have resetting deductibles, but the 23 states that were federally run already do not. even though it is the exact same program.

    TRANSITIONS doesn't mean cancel and start new, and they never mentioned the resetting deductible ahead of time because they knew the public would be pissed.

    How do we fight this? I have paid $1500 for in network and $3000 for out of network directly out of my pocket this year so i could pursue the surgery i need, and now they say F.U.

    PLEASE HELP

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts