Who Can Help Me Enroll In California Health Insurance In 2014?

The first annual Open Enrollment Period (OEP) for ObamaCare will begin October 1, 2013.  At that time, individuals and families in California and the rest of the country can begin the process of selecting a new health insurance plan to begin on January 1, 2014.  The intial OEP will run a full six months to allow sufficient time for millions of California residents to buy new health insurance plans and for those with existing plans to change those plans either voluntarily or due to having non-grandfathered coverage.

Outside of the Exchange

Those wishing to purchase health insurance coverage outside of the CA Health Benefits Exchange will need to use a licensed health insurance agent (either an independent broker or carrier-direct sales unit) to make that purchase.  Outside of exchange sales will be very similar to the way things work today.

Inside of the Exchange and Medi-Cal/Healthy Families

Those wishing to purchase health insurance coverage inside of the exchange, particularly those who qualify for low-income premium subsidy, may be assisted by a licensed agent, the exchange itself, or a non-licensed entity.  This includes those who are eligible for Medi-Cal (California Medicaid) and Healthy Families (California CHIP)

Non-licensed entities who may assist with exchange-only or Medi-Cal/Healthy Families enrollments will include, but not be limited to Navigators, Community Service Organizations, Community Outreach Organizations, Dept of Fish & Game, Ranch and Farm Associations, Trade Unions, Medical Groups, Medical Offices, Community Clinics and Hospitals.

Non-licensed Navigators and Direct Benefit Assisters will also be excluded from selling small group insurance plans for the SHOP exchange.  SHOP is the small business 2-50 employee group exchange.  All enrollments in group health plans will require a licensed insurance agent or broker.



Popular Posts